Introduction: Where You’ve Been Going Wrong All This Time
Sometimes we need to step back and reflect on what we’ve been doing in order to get some perspective. Case in point: if you’re an amateur blogger who’s hoping to someday make a full-time living from running your own site, then ask yourself what your strategy has been up to this point. If you’re like many bloggers, then your ‘strategy’ might well consist of writing a 500 word blog post once a week and then doing a little promotion on social media when you get the chance. Sound familiar?
If it does, then I hope that already you can see why this isn’t working. Let’s put it simply: if you want to make your blog into your full time ‘job’, then you need to treat it like a full time job. Most bloggers spend more time and energy cooking than they do running their blog. Are you still surprised that so many blogs fail?
Imagine if you put that kind of effort in in your office job. Do you think they would pay you a full time salary?
And just as you need to make sure you’re putting the time into your blog, you also need to make sure that you’re approaching it in a professional manner. If you’re using a free WordPress theme and if you’ve never spent any time actually learning how to write, then the only way you can expect to be successful is if you’re incredibly lucky.
But don’t get me wrong: it’s not your fault if you’re taking this approach to your blogging. After all, most of us have never been taught how to make a success of a blog – instead we’re just making it up as we go along.
That then is where this book comes in. Throughout the remainder of this title, we’ll be looking at how you actually get a blog to grow. That means looking at just how much time and effort you need to be investing, the tools that can help you to really maximize your output and most importantly the kind of strategy that really makes a difference.
Once you have read through the book in its entirety, you’ll know exactly what you need to do to turn a small blog into your primary source of income. This is the tried and tested formula that has been used by some of the biggest names on the web. Of course there is still an element of chance involved but as long as you follow these tips it will be a matter of when not if.
Over the course of the next few chapters you’ll learn:
- How much you really should be writing if you want to see your blog become enormously successful
- How to write stunning content that Google will like and that will keep your visitors coming back
- How to juggle the commitments of your regular lifestyle with all this extra work (and the changes you’ll need to make)
- The tools, apps and software you can use to make sure that you’re getting the maximum returns for all your hard work
- How to rig your business model to almost guarantee success
- The promotion you should be doing to bring new people to your site without relying on Google
- How to build and maintain a massive e-mail list
- How to monetize your site so that you’re making the maximum profit possible from each visitor
After about three months of following this advice you should be generating a decent supplementary income. By the end of the year, you’ll probably be able to consider giving up your day job.
Excited yet? You should be… so let’s get to work!